Throwing a great tweetup isn’t as easy as throwing a great party (where free alcohol= good time). Ok, maybe it is.
Regardless of the alcohol availability, here are a few ideas to throw a great tweetup.
- Partnering with a conference to get on the official schedule
- Hosting at a bar — offer 2 free drink tickets with registration at the door and free appetizers. Get e-mail address and twitter accounts here
- Have it at a bar near or in the hotel where everyone is staying
- iPad’s or some other technology on hand where people can sign up for your service
- Use a hashtag that you promote via blog post and Twitter prior to the event
- Post the hashtag on posters at the event
- Wifi (I’ve been to a tweetup with no wifi — can you say disaster?)
- Nametags — encourage people to write name AND twitter username
- Use a tool like Eventbrite for online registration
- No presentations- people come to mingle, not listen to another speaker
- Communicate! — Big details like theme down to small details and reminders like bringing business cards, etc
What’s the best tweetup you’ve attended? What made it great?