Throwing a great tweetup isn’t as easy as throwing a great party (where free alcohol= good time). Ok, maybe it is.
Regardless of the alcohol availability, here are a few ideas to throw a great tweetup.
- Partnering with a conference to get on the official schedule
- Hosting at a bar — offer 2 free drink tickets with registration at the door and free appetizers. Get e-mail address and twitter accounts here
- Have it at a bar near or in the hotel where everyone is staying
- iPad’s or some other technology on hand where people can sign up for your service
- Use a hashtag that you promote via blog post and Twitter prior to the event
- Post the hashtag on posters at the event
- Wifi (I’ve been to a tweetup with no wifi — can you say disaster?)
- Nametags — encourage people to write name AND twitter username
- Use a tool like Eventbrite for online registration
- No presentations- people come to mingle, not listen to another speaker
- Communicate! — Big details like theme down to small details and reminders like bringing business cards, etc
What’s the best tweetup you’ve attended? What made it great?
Katrina Kibben is the Founder and Principal Consultant of Three Ears Media. For most of Katrina’s career, she has been a marketer living in a recruiter’s world – listening to both sides of the talent equation to understand the real issues and find solutions for engaging and hiring better people. Today, she uses her technical marketing know-how and way with words to help both established and emerging brands develop and deliver content that fuels smart recruitment marketing that makes the right people apply.
Katrina has written for Monster.com, HR.com, RecruitingDaily and many other digital publications. She is a recognized leader in recruiting and employer branding who speaks regularly at conferences around the world.